Do you have an iPhone 4 and want to update the iOS to the latest version, iOS 8? By iOS 8, you can add widgets to the notifications bar, edit photos directly from your Camera Roll, and use Siri to recognize songs on your device. Are you curious about this? Here are the steps on how to update iPhone 4 to iOS 8 directly from your device.
How to Update iPhone 4 to iOS 8 Directly from Your Device
Updating the OS from your device is actually possible, even though it takes multiple steps for your iPhone 4. If you never try this by yourself before, it will be best to follow the following steps on how to update iPhone 4 to iOS 8.
- To start the procedure, check whether your device is compatible or not. It shouldn’t be an issue as iPhone 4 is already compatible with the iOS 8 update normally.
- Backup your iPhone. Some users have reported that they have difficulty in returning contacts, messages, and other personal information after an upgrade. Therefore, make sure you have the latest backups, whether it is stored on your computer or on iCloud. This is important to ensure that you still have backup data if the update process does not run properly.
- Reserve enough space on your hard drive. To download the iOS 8, you need about 4.5 GB of empty storage. Actually, this update does not require this much space, so anything you remove can be restored after you update your phone.
- Connect your device. If your device battery runs out when updated, it could damage your device. Therefore, make sure your device is getting the resources continuously and reliably.
- Start the update process. You will receive a notification that updates are available for download. If there is no notification, go to ‘Settings’ and click ‘General’ option. Then, select ‘Software Update’.
- Wait for it. Your computer will download the update and install it. After that, it will restart automatically. You will not be able to use your device when this process is running.
- Start to set up your device. After your download and installation is complete, your device will display a screen that says, “Slide to set up”. Slide the arrow to start the set up.
- Decide whether you want to enable ‘Location Services’ or not. Enabling ‘Location Services’ allows apps to determine your current location via Wi-Fi and GPS. If you choose to activate it, your device will search for Wi-Fi networks to connect. If you want to skip this step, press ‘Next’.
- Follow the remaining instructions to complete setting up your device. You will be asked if you want to use iCloud Drive or not and what wireless network you want to use.
By knowing how to update iPhone 4 to iOS 8, you can prevent misstep during the process. Pay attention to all the details in the installation process because if you do it wrong, even in a little thing, the installation process can fail overall.