“I dropped my iPhone in water. So, what should I do?” This question is often expressed when someone accidentally drops his iPhone into the water. This issue should be solved immediately to prevent further damage to the phone. What things we can do on such situation?
What if I Dropped My iPhone in Water?
What do I do if I dropped my iPhone in water? Draining the iPhone from water is similar to drying out an electronic device in general. However, there are some details on the iPhone that you need to know to prevent more severe damage. Here’s how to save your iPhone when you drop it.
- Remove it from the water. The longer your phone is submerged; the chance of short circuit will be higher. One-second difference can determine the life of your phone.
- Turn off the phone power. First, press and hold the power button. Then, slide the button at the top of the screen when prompted. The sooner the phone is turned off, the chances of it being fixed will be even better.
- Remove any case on the phone. If your iPhone is wrapped in additional casing, water can be stuck in the gap. Release your phone case so all the water in it can be dried entirely.
- Remove the SIM card and its drawer from the iPhone. Use the SIM picking device or a straightened paper clip into the hole of the SIM drawer until the drawer is out. Remove the SIM card drawer completely to dry.
- Use a dry cloth that easily absorbs water to dry the phone. Wipe all the wet parts, such as charging port, volume buttons, headphone jack, and other niches.
- Dry the ports with a toothpick and a dry cloth. Take a thin sheet of cloth, for example from a second-hand T-shirt, and then wrap it on the toothpick tip. After that, use this toothpick to absorb excess water from the charging port and headphone jack.
- Put the iPhone in a warm and dry location. The best way to drain water inside your iPhone is to wind it up in a warm place as long as possible.
- Wait at least for 48 hours. The longer you wait, the drying process will be more successful. If it is possible for you to wait more than 48 hours, please leave the phone for 72 hours.
- Check the water damage indicator. Every iPhone has a small indicator that helps technicians know that the phone has been damaged by water. This indicator is a piece of plastic that turns red if it is exposed to a lot of water. You can check this indicator yourself to see if the phone has been damaged. Use a flashlight to look inside the port.
These steps should be done as soon as possible so that your iPhone can return to the initial condition. However, if the damage is severe enough, you are advised to fix it at a local Apple repair service. So, every time you are questioning yourself, “I dropped my iPhone in water, what should I do?” Those steps above will sort it out.